Friday, September 16, 2011

"Pølse. Danish for happiness"

Did you know that Århus has got a new slogan in English?
"Aarhus, Danish for progress"

But living in Denmark, I'd suggest a better motto : 
"Pølse, Danish for happiness"


 "Pølse" means sausage in Danish, and it's also the main ingredient of the Danish national dish: The hotdog.
When I moved to Denmark, a street artist had decorated the wall outside my apartment with these lovely flying "pølser"


Of course, that vision made me run to the closest hotdog stand every single day.
Fortunately, in Århus it's quite easy to find a "pølsevogn", the traditional Danish hotdog stand.
There are plenty of them in the city center, and I prefer the "Børnenes kontor" ("the Children's offices"), that support charity for kids with their incomes


The local "pølsevogns" try to suit the Aarhusians' new tastes. 
One of the last trends is the bratwurst, a genuine German sausage, often served with curry sauce like in Berlin


But it you're not into pork, don't worry. On the pedestrian street you'll find also shawarma stands...


...or even sushi stands! Healthy and tasty...


If you're a gourmet type, I'd recommend the popular "bistro" café Lecoq  in the Latin Quarter that offers its delicious "lecoqdog" in special occasions, with North African sausage, harissa mayo and special salat...


The passion for hotdogs goes so far that great cooks show their most bizarre creations at Denmark Masters every year. Last week I could taste the surrealistic "black dog", the aRos museum's entry to the contest this year, made of deer sausage, pancake, swamps, squid ink and wild herbs


And of course, after visiting all these "pølsevogns" taking pictures for my blog, I couldn't resist the temptation of buying a couple of "fransk hotdogs" at my favourite "pølsevogn" in Lilletorv... Velbekomme!! :-P






No comments:

Post a Comment